Monday, September 10, 2007

When an Insomniac Dreams...

Me having problem to sleep is not a new thing. Yes I think I am an insomniac. Before I go to work today, I only had less than 2 hrs sleep. I don't feel sleepy nor tired. Being awake for more than 36 hours is not a problem. I've tried to see a doctor before, she gave me anti anxiety but that didn't work. When you go to doctor saying that you are having sleeping disorder do expect these questions
- Do you smoke?
- Do you have any problems at work bothering you?
- Do you have family problems?
- Do you see things? (Imaginary stuff)
- And all sorts of questions that makes you think 'Are you trying to say that I am insane?' and I almost say this to the Dr:'You wanna know what's bothering me? Your questions'... hahahahha

But i do have my 'shut down' days; normally twice or three times in a fortnight. It's when i fall asleep around 10pm and wake up at 8am the next morning or sleep late and wake up late. I only need 8 full hours of sleep for the shut down.. My normal sleeping time is 3.5-5 hours; quality sleep. I am a deep sleeper even the hour might be a little shorter than normal people.

According to science, sleep is catagorize in 4 diff stages.
1- Between wakefulness and sleeping (last between 1-7min), mind and body active and busy, short term memory being used
2- Light sleep, mind and bosy calm and relax, long term memory activated, learning is easy and rapid.
3- Sleep (About 20 min after 1st falling asleep), a state of deep relaxation, high creativity and insight, su-conscious mind accessible.
4- Deep Sleep, Sleeping, minimum brain activity.

People normally dreams approximately 3-4 times a nite and we will remember a dream that occurs during REM (Rapid Eye Movement;60-90min interval). Well that explained why I always say I don't normally dream during my sleep, maybe i just didn't remember. And not being able to have enuff sleep must has given me less REM; which is not good. Because lack of REM can cause illness and premature ageing - that's why people have a term 'beauty sleep'. Harvard medical school also conduct a study that says we are not only capable to be an actor in our dreams, we can also be the director. Which I do agree, because sometimes i did decide how i want my dream to be.

For me dreams are like a reminder or a warning, minus all the merepek mimpi such as kereta terbang or being in the wonderland where everything around you can talk.. I normally realize the message of my dream after the 'thing' has happen. Not that i could avoid it from happening but at least i could prepare myself, because most of the time it was a sad thing.

Well.. well.. well... However, when you dreamt of something, related, 2 nites in a row (macam tengok citer series kat TV, boley sambung2).. It's kinda freaky.. hmmm.. I had those kind of dreams last week.. Frankly, i dun feel good about it. Let's just wait and see.. Whatever it is, things happen for reason and it's from God.

3 comments:

Didie said...

Very informative. Ko mmg Chot, kalau dah shut off tuh bom meletup pon ko tak sedar :-p

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Teringat lak zaman sekolah aku boley jawap soalan add maths during sleep... Lwak betull!!